A WordPress Blog Specific Plugin is a site specific plugin, used to host theme independent code snippets.
You can use these snippets to add, modify, remove, and extent WordPress as well as non WordPress features.
Adding code snippets in your theme’s functions.php file is not a Good Habit. Discontinue immediately.
Benefits of WordPress Blog Specific Plugin
- To have a permanent place for all theme independent code.
- To preserve settings even after theme upgrades.
- To quickly change theme without losing any modifications.
- To avoid WordPress white screen of death or errors.
- Easy to maintain.
Steps To Create WordPress Blog Specific Plugin
- Create a new folder in the plugin directory named “WordPress Blog Specific Plugin”. /wp-content/plugins/wordPress-blog-specific-plugin/
- Then create a new file in this folder and save it as “wbsp.php”.
- Open this file and copy paste below code.
- On WordPress dashboard select Installed Plugins in Plugins menu and activate WordPress Blog Specific Plugin.
If you insert any invalid custom code snippets, the plugin automatically gets de-activated.
These makes you lose all other working code snippets currently active on your site.
A more better solution is available upon request, which will be installed and activated for clients.
Just contact me.
Moral of the story
From now on, place all theme independent code snippets in your WordPress Blog Specific Plugin.