Disclaimer: Some links and discount codes in this article generate affiliate income. So if you use these codes or click and make a purchase, I will get some commission at no extra cost to you. Recommended products are of high quality. Some of them I use personally.
What does LiteSpeed web server do?
Is LiteSpeed web server better than Apache and Nginx?
How much does LiteSpeed web server cost?
Are you are looking for answers to above mentioned questions?
If yes, then you have come to the right place.
Congrats and pat you back.
You did an excellent job. Keep it up!
You are a wonderful human being.
Now lets get back to our article.
LiteSpeed Web Server
LiteSpeed Web Server(LSWS) is a drop-in Apache alternative from LiteSpeed Technologies.
LiteSpeed securely handles concurrent users with minimal memory and CPU footprint even under heavy load.
LiteSpeed became the fastest growing web server in 2019, and dethroned Nginx which held this position since a very long time. Source
LiteSpeed is also the 4th most popular web server in the market.
2 Types of LiteSpeed Web Server
- OpenLiteSpeed – free and open source.
- LiteSpeed Enterprise – paid product.
This article speaks mostly about LiteSpeed Enterprise Web Server.
LiteSpeed provides cache plugins for various Content Management Systems which give you lot of freedom on how and when things are cached.
LiteSpeed Cache Plugin is Available for
Control Panels Supported by LiteSpeed Web Server
LiteSpeed Web Server Features
- Event driven means less overhead and enormous scalalbility.
- Handles thousands of concurrent connections without load spike.
- Supports Apache mod_rewrite and mod_security rules.
- Come with user friendly Graphical User Interface (GUI) for WebAdmin.
- Apache drop-in replacement.
- Support pipelined requests.
- Supports HTTP/2 server push.
- GZIP, brotli compression.
- Zero downtime and maintenance with graceful restarts.
- Runs on Linux, FreeBSD, Mac OSX, and Solaris.
- Unlimited IP and name-based virtual hosting.
- Unlimited concurrent connections.
- Supports advanced server level cache with LSCache Engine and ESI.
- OCSP stapling.
- WebSocket proxying.
- Built-in DDoS protection with bandwidth and connection throttling.
- IP based access control.
- Strict HTTP request validation.
- Referer limiting.
- Response rate limiting.
- Buffer overrun guards.
- Fault tolerance.
- Chunked transfer encoding.
- Entity tags.
- Set Cache-Control headers.
- Supports both IPv4 and IPv6.
- Asynchronous I/O support.
- Built-in page caching.
- HTTPS/QUIC fast handshake and offload.
- Just-in-time configuration reduces restart time.
- Lookup for GEO IP.
- Stream logs to external logger.
- Custom log formatting.
- Backend load balancing.
- Auto recover from service failures.
- Supports multiple PHP versions.
- Supports video streaming.
- Virtual host templates for easy configuration.
What I Like About LiteSpeed Web Server
- No need to learn new things.
- Consumes very less CPU and RAM.
- In-built feature to detect heavy load on Server.
- Replace Apache in 15 minutes with zero downtime.
- LiteSpeed actually caches .htacces so no drag on performance.
- Caching done at server level. You can decide what and how things are cached with the help of LiteSpeed plugins.
- Eliminates 3rd party caching layers.
- LiteSpeed as well as OpenLiteSpeed web servers handles lot of concurrent visitors per second that too with great stability. See below images.
- Saves money by using less number of servers to power your websites and applications.
- No need for reverse proxy.
- Delivers Static content up to 5x faster than Apache.
- HTTPS is upto 3x faster than Apache.
- Reduced server stack saves you CPU, memory and disk.
- Inbuilt security features also protect from brute-force attacks and DDoS attacks.
What I Like Least About LiteSpeed Web Server
- Very few hosts provide LiteSpeed Web Server with Managed WordPress Hosting.
LiteSpeed Web Server Load Test Results
Below configuration is used to test how does LiteSpeed Enterprise handle concurrent requests per second.
- Nanode from Linode
- 1 CPU
- 1 GB RAM
- CentOS 7
- Litepeed Enterprise Web Server with LS Cache
- PHP 7.3
- WordPress 5.3.2
- Clients per second using Loader.io
LiteSpeed easily handles lot of concurrent clients per second that too with amazing stability.
LiteSpeed External Benchmark Links
How much does LiteSpeed Web Server Cost?
LiteSpeed provides 3 types of plans
- LiteSpeed Enterprise Web Server
- LiteSpeed Web ADC
- LiteSpeed Enterprise Web Server with CyberPanel Bundle
Plans for LiteSpeed Enterprise Web Server starts at US $10/month.
Plans for LiteSpeed Web ADC starts at US $65/month.
Plans for LiteSpeed Enterprise Web Server with CyberPanel bundle starts at US $11/month.
You also get a free forever plan for upto 2GB memory on LiteSpeed Enterprise and CyberPanel bundle plans.
LiteSpeed provides you three payments options for acquiring a license.
LiteSpeed also provides you with 15 days trial for testing.
Moral of the Story
LiteSpeed Enterprise web server serves more concurrent users with amazing speed and security with least usage of resources.