What is Telegram
Telegram is a cloud-based mobile and desktop messaging app.
By default, all the data is stored on the cloud.
It is one of the most feature rich messaging and chat app.
Telegram Messenger is Available on
- iPhone, iPad
- Chrome App
Telegram Messenger Features
- Messages can self-destruct with a timer.
- Telegram is cloud based, so you can access your messages from any device.
- No limits on file size for sharing.
- Block people.
- Decide who can see your mobile number.
- Decide whether people can find you by your number.
- Decide who can see your profile photo.
- Decide whether forwarded messages can include your account link.
- Decide who can call you.
- Create channels to allow unlimited users to follow you.
- Schedule messages by holding the send button to send messages at a future date or time.
- Create reminders out of saved messages.
- You can also send silent messages to members of groups and channels.
- Telegram Passport is a unified authorization method for services that require personal identification.
- If you find any bot, channel, or sticker infringing your copyright, file a complaint with [email protected]
Telegram Group Features
- Create groups of upto 2,00,000 users.
- Groups can be private or public.
- Decide if members are allowed to send messages, media, and stickers.
- Decide if members can create polls, or embed links.
- Decide if members can add new users, pin messages, or change chat info.
- Add @GDPRbot to request copy of all your data stored with Telegram.
- Contact @NoToScam, if someone is pretending to be you.
- Add @BotFather, to add or update your bot.
- Contact @Username_bot if your username is already taken by someone.
- Add @telegram, to receive Telegram news.
- Add @IFTTT to connect with over 360 services on IFTTT platform.
Telegram Messenger Pros
- Secure as all data is stored decentralized at multiple locations across the globe.
- Cloud based.
- Based on proprietary MTProto.
- More than 200 million users worldwide.
- Find people by their username.
- Add people nearby.
- Join groups nearby
- No need for backups.
- Encrypted keys for the data is stored in multiple locations.
- Any party can choose to delete any messages in one-on-one chats, both sent and received, for both sides, without any time limit.
- Secret chats are device specific and not part of Telegram cloud.
- Secret chats don’t allow forwarding messages.
- Secret chat messages can only be accessed from the device they were sent to or from.
- Anonymous Forwards make sure the messages you sent do not link back to your account.
- Slow Mode in groups restrict it members to send one message per chosen interval.
- Telegram claims to have disclosed 0 bytes of user data to third parties, including governments.
- Build specialized tools, integrate services, or accept payments with the help of Bots API.
- Currently based in Dubai.
Telegram Messenger Cons
- All messages, photos, videos and documents from your cloud chats are stored on Telegram servers.
- Data for all the public chats (public channels and public groups) are stored in the cloud.
- Secret chat messages are kept for a short while.
- Media from Secret chat is stored encrypted on the server.
- Bots are made by third party developers except the official ones. Use Cautiously.
- Developers receive your data when you interact with their bots. So use bots without access to messages in the groups.
Telegram Usage Tips
- Always use Secret Chats for communication.
- Avoid using Telegram for any kind of file sharing as all the data is stored in the cloud even while using Secret Chats.
Who Should Use Telegram
- All those who want to hide their real identity and chat with the unknown people.
- All those who want lot of features.
- All those who want to connect with people and groups nearby.
Alternatively, there is a Messaging app to communicate privately with the known people.
Moral of the Story
Telegram is a cloud based messaging app to communicate anonymously with the world.